Skip to content

Additional COVID-19 case reported at Fort St. John's Site C project

Northern B.C. project has found 12 cases since March 1, five are currently active
Site C - Fort St. John 4 river diversion
River diversion at Site C outside Fort St. John, photo taken in October 2020. (via BC Hydro)

BC Hydro says another worker at its Site C project in the north has tested positive for COVID-19.

The provincial company says the worker is part of the same crew that saw four positive tests for the virus on Friday (Nov. 20).

Three of those original members were said to be isolating at the Fort St. John camp, while the fourth was quarantining at home.

"Prior to being tested, this worker had been in isolation along with the rest of the crew cohort," BC Hydro said in an update this morning (Nov. 24).

In total, there have now been 12 confirmed cases for COVID-19 at Site C since March 1; Northern Health has not formally declared an outbreak at this project.

Five of those are currently active, while seven have recovered since their diagnosis.

As of today, there were 1,444 workers reported at the camp, 36 of whom are in self-isolation.

This comes after Northern Health announced more cases at Kitimat's LNG Canada Project site, which now sits at 41 since its outbreak was declared on Thursday (Nov. 19).

Elsewhere in the north, two men died at Dawson Creek’s Rotary Manor after contracting the virus; its outbreak was declared on Nov. 2 after a single-staff member tested positive for COVID-19.

In Fort St. John, the North Peace Seniors Housing Society apartments found six lab-confirmed cases and ordered an outbreak on Sunday (Nov. 22).

All outbreaks will be in place for 28 days from the declaration date.

As of this publication (Nov. 24), there have been 649 COVID-19 cases detected in Northern Health, which includes a record 153 active cases, six deaths, 18 people in hospital, nine of whom are in critical care, and 490 recoveries.

- with files from Matt Preprost, Alaska Highway News