Wildfires have been wreaking havoc over the summer in the Prince George Fire Centre, but some relief is here just before fall.
Fire Information Officer, Forrest Tower, admits while the fires are not smaller, they also aren't getting bigger and containment is becoming easier daily.
"The trend definitely is moving toward increased containment and switched from out-of-control to being held and then evacuation orders and alerts are being lifted by regional districts or other governing municipalities working with local authorities," he says." I would also say given the weather forecast we're looking at, it will be along the same trend. We are supposed to get some more precipitation in the area and lower temperatures as we get into fall, so the situation for the Prince George Fire Centre is on an upward trend for sure."
Here are the latest updates concerning fires in nearby areas:
CHESLATTA LAKE WILDFIRE:
- 7,629 hectares
- Cause: lightning
- Fire still active but good containment
- Discovered Jul. 31
ISLAND LAKE WILDFIRE:
- 20,671 hectares
- Adjacent to Island Lake, S of Francois Lake
- Discovered Aug. 1
- Classified as out of control but "held"
- Resources: 74 firefighters, 9 helicopters, 20 heavy equipment
- Cause: lightning
SHOVEL LAKE WILDFIRE
- 6 KM north of community of Fraser Lake
- Discovered Jul. 27
- 92,255 hectares
- Being "held"
- Fire not likely to spread beyond existing or predetermined boundaries because of forecast conditions and also due to sufficient suppression actions. There is a restriction around the fire's perimeter.
CHUTANLI LAKE WILDFIRE
- 11 km north east of Tatelukz Lake
- Discovered Jul. 30
- 86 firefighters, 13 heavy equipment
- 60% contained and "held"
- Cause: under investigation
EVACUATION ALERTS AND ORDERS
Over the past few days, the following evacuation alerts and orders have been downgraded or cancelled:
ISLAND LAKE WILDFIRE AS OF SEPT. 5:
- Evacuation Alert has been RESCINDED by the Regional District of Bulkley Nechako for East of Island Lake FSR to east of Nithi Rd and Nithi Pit Rd. and south of Francois Lake
- Evacuation ORDER remains in place for East of the Binta FSR and Binta Blackpoint FSR Intersection, and south of Francois Lake to south of Knapp Lake
CHESLATA LAKE WILDFIRE AS OF SEPT.5:
- Evacuation Alert RESCINDED for East of Holy Cross Lake to east of the Holy Cross FSR, and north of the east end of Cheslatta Lake
- Evacuation ORDER remains in place for West of Holy Cross Lake
SHOVEL LAKE WILDFIRE AS OF SEPT. 2:
- Evacuation ORDER and ALERT rescinded
- As of Aug. 27, AREA RESTRICTION remains in effect until Sept. 15 at noon. The order will be in place for Crown land in the vicinity of the wildfire.
CHUTANLI LAKE WILDFIRE AS OF SEPT. 2:
- Evacuation Alert RESCINDED