Skip to content

Enbridge pipeline near Prince George operating near 90 per cent capacity

The pipeline exploded on Oct. 9
0
43655156_1405778912887790_6519609576206106624_n
Enbridge has received permission and guidelines from the National Energy Board regarding pipeline restarts. (via @Carter9Marty Twitter)

It's good news for FortisBC customers. 

The energy company says the Enbridge pipeline that exploded on Oct. 9 north of Prince George is now operating at 85-90 per cent. 

Corporate Communications officer with FortisBC, Diana Sorace, says conservation efforts by customers all over B.C. saw a 20 per cent reduction in natural gas usage after the explosion.

"This contributed greatly to the stability of our gas supply," she says in an email to PrinceGeorgeMatters. 

With the pipeline at 85-90 per cent capacity, Sorace says it is effectively operating at normal levels for this time of the year. 

The other good news is the current and forecasted gas supply is stable, even with frigid temperatures. 

"During the Enbridge incident, we also stored natural gas and can draw from this storage in peak periods of demand," she adds.

Even though the situation is stable, FortisBC is still encouraging customers throughout the province to be mindful of their energy use in homes and businesses. 

"While additional conservation is not needed, everyday conservation is still something we encourage and smart use of natural gas enables customers to keep their bills low and save energy," Sorace says. 

The 30-inch natural gas mainline was shut down when sweet gas was released and a fire broke out on Enbridge's 36-inch Loop on Oct. 9. 




Comments


Jess Fedigan

About the Author: Jess Fedigan

Jess Fedigan graduated from BCIT’s broadcast and online journalism program in 2016. Her career (so far) has taken her to Fort St. John, Victoria and now Prince George.
Read more