Marijuana became legal in Canada on Oct. 17, 2018 but that doesn't mean it's been smooth sailing.
Prince George RCMP Cpl. Craig Douglass says 13 violation tickets have been issued since the Cannabis Act came in effect.
The tickets are broken down as follows:
- 6 = Adult operating a vehicle with cannabis in it
- 3 = Consume cannabis while operating a vehicle or boat
- 2 = Minor possessing, consuming or selling cannabis
- 1 = Consume cannabis in a vehicle or boat operated by another
- 1 = Operating a vehicle or boat knowing another is smoking or vaping cannabis
Douglass says the cannabis act is new to police as well and suspects numbers will go up as officers become more familiar with the different offences under the legislation as with any new system, there is a learning curve.