There's some good news for runners and walkers in Prince George.
The city has announced that Masich Place Stadium is opening weeks ahead of other civic fields, which has included recent upgrades:
- A brand-new 11x16 foot scoreboard with LED display and new sound system
- New countdown timers
- Enhanced LED field lighting
- Glass railings that allow full visibility from accessible seating areas
- New concrete accessibility ramps at both ends of the bleachers
- Additional accessible and companion seating in the grandstand
- Refurbished concession area with new accessible concession window
- Newly renovated change rooms
- Refitted men’s, women’s, and universal washrooms
- A new score booth with insulation and heating and controls for the score clock, digital display, and sound system
"One of the primary reasons for renovating and upgrading Masich Place Stadium was to allow the stadium to open to the public and to user groups earlier in the year and to stay open later in the year than regular, natural turf fields," the city says in a statement.
Other fields are roughly three-to-five weeks away from being able to open.
Natural turf fields and ball diamonds need to wait until they have completely dried and root systems are established before regular use.
The track will be available for public walking and running each day during April from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m., except when user groups are using the amenities.
Starting in May, the track will switch to a 6 a.m. opening time.