Skip to content

Smoke out of Prince George business caused by overheated element

Firefighters briefly closed George Street in front of Ramada Plaza
0
Smoke at Ramada - Oct. 8, 2019
Prince George firefighters and RCMP block George Street in front of the Ramada Plaza hotel in response to heavy smoke nearby (via Kyle Balzer)

No injuries or damages were sustained after an overheated element at a downtown Prince George business forced local firefighters to be dispatched.

Close to 20 crew members from four different fire halls were called to the 400 block, George Street around 1 p.m., where heavy smoke was found inside an office space next to the Ramada Plaza hotel.

First responders closed the road between Fourth and Fifth Avenues to investigate, but nobody was evacuated from the hotel.

Crews found a heating element in the duct system had overheated, causing insulation to burn around the pipe and produce heavy smoke.

The Ramada and Plaza 400 buildings were checked, but there were no problems found.

The buildings were ventilated by electric fans to get the smoke out of the structure.

George Street has since re-opened.




Comments


Kyle  Balzer

About the Author: Kyle Balzer

Kyle Balzer graduated with distinction from BCIT's Broadcast & Online Journalism program in 2016. Since moving to Prince George, he has covered a variety of stories from education & Indigenous relations, to community interests & sports.
Read more