Skip to content

UNBC Timberwolves men's soccer hands powerhouse MRU Cougars first loss of season in thriller

Timberwolves come out on top of back and forth battle

What a night.

Even the rain and cold temperatures couldn't dampen the mood of a massive 3-2 win for the UNBC men's soccer team.

The Timberwolves came into tonight (Sept. 13) sporting a 2-3-1 record and essentially participated in a David against Goliath battle with the MRU Cougars. 

The Cougars came into Masich Place Stadium with an undefeated record of 5-0-0 and UNBC knew they would be in tough for a full 90, but it was nothing short of amazing. 

UNBC struck first in the 30th minute thanks to an Owen Stewart goal, which put the crowd into a frenzy as well as the Timberwolves bench. 

Sadly, it wouldn't last very long as just minutes later, MRU's Dawid Dudek would knot the game at one in the 36th minute of the first half. 

And then, the second half was something incredible.

It didn't start the way the Timberwolves wanted, with Dane Domic adding a second for the Cougars just one minute into the second half to make it 2-1 for the visitors. 

But UNBC never said die in an extremely physical match.

IMG_4091PSThe UNBC Timberwolves won a thriller against the MRU Cougars on Friday night. (via Jess Fedigan)

Stu Rowlands would come up huge for the Timberwolves in the 56th minute, finishing a great opportunity off a corner in the box to even the game at two.

The hundreds in attendance were loud but they would get even louder. 

In a fitting way, Prince George product Anthony Preston would play hero, netting a laser in the 69th minute to give UNBC a 3-2 lead, much to the delight of the fans in the stands but to the dismay of MRU. 

Four minutes of added time was put on the clock after the full 90 and the Cougars came close numerous times with constant pressure in the UNBC box. 

Timberwolves Keeper Rob Goodey would come up with a jaw-dropping diving save in the last few minutes of the game to clinch the win for UNBC.

“They played a really good game, and moved some players into some positions and had a bit of a different concept,” MRU coach Ryan Gyaki adds in a release. “Both sides had chances from mistakes, and both sides had chances from good play.”

Nerves were high all night but when the final whistle blew, it was all celebration. 

“It’s clicking right now. I am slowing my game down a little bit and focusing on my game,” UNBC's Owen Stewart says in the same release. “It’s just trust. I know the guys are going to be running and looking to score. It is starting to click and it feels amazing."

Next up for the men is a date with Alberta on Sept. 21.


Jess Fedigan

About the Author: Jess Fedigan

Jess Fedigan graduated from BCIT’s Broadcast and Online Journalism program in 2016 and comes from the Lower Mainland.
Read more