“I love plants, and I've always been fascinated by watching plants grow,” says Lacey Hunniford. No surprise there, as she's a manager at Hunniford Gardens, a retail garden centre and plant grower owned by her family for the past thirty years.
The 2nd generation Hunniford has been working in the family business since she was twelve.
She went away to run a greenhouse in Kamloops for five years, and then came back to help the family business expand to 16 acres of newly-purchased land.
“I wanted to help the family business keep going for another generation,” Lacey explains. “I also get really excited about flowers and food. People buying plants tend to be happy, so it's usually a happy place to be.”
The garden centre was busy last season hosting workshops, and is anticipating being even busier this spring: “the response was overwhelming last year, all but one workshop was booked to capacity,” says Lacey.
She and her family have added a broader array of workshops for 2019, so there is sure to be something to tickle everyone's green thumb.
Hunniford explains that the workshops make it easier for people to pick up new skills.
“We're with them, guiding them. It makes gardening more fun and less intimidating.”
Here are the workshops coming up in April and May.
- Growing Gorgeous Flowers from Bulbs = April 24, 6-7 p.m.
- Kids Fairy Garden = April 28, 9:30-10:30 a.m.
- Build a Fairy Garden = May 1, 6-7:30 p.m.
- Build a Spring Pansy Pot = May 2, 6-6:30 p.m.
- Build a Succulent Log Planter = May 4, 9-9:30 a.m.
- Build an Indoor Terrarium Garden = May 5, 9-10 a.m.
- Build Mom a Mother's Day Pansy Pot (for kids) = May 9, 6:30-7 p.m.
- Build a Pollinator's Paradise Planter = May 15, 6:30-7:30 p.m.
- Build a Beautiful Foliage Hanging Basket = May 23, 6:30-7:30 p.m.
- Paint in the Garden = May 31, 6-8 p.m.
If you're interested in learning more about these workshops or Hunniford Gardens, follow this link.
This Content is made possible by our Sponsor; it is not written by and does not necessarily reflect the views of the editorial staff.